- Teen bands submit an online application that includes their music, photo, bios, band web addresses and other misc. info
- Bands members must be 13-19 years old
- Majority of band members have to be enrolled in middle or high school (or home school program)
- Up to 8 people in a band
- Music must be original or fall under public domain
- If you’re under 18, you have to have your parent's permission
- Any of style of music is welcomed, as long as lyrics are appropriate
- All bands who meet the eligibility requirements move on to the online round
- Eight (8) bands will be invited to participate in the live finals in Anaheim, California
- Bands who are chosen to move on to the Finals must sign an official SchoolJam USA release in order to participate.
Review a complete copy of the official rules.
Advancing to the Finals
The top 8 finalists will be chosen by a combination of the public vote and a music score given by our anonymous panel of industry judges. Here is how the process breaks down:
Music Score: Bands will be judged in the following categories and awarded up to a total possible score of 50 points:
- Musicality (10 pts)
- Ensemble (10 pts)
- Technical Skill (10 pts)
- Originality (10 pts)
- Overall impression (10 pts)
Public Vote: During the month of November the public will vote for their favorite band. The more votes you receive the higher your vote score will be.
Combining the Scores: The music score and the voting score will be combined with a 60/40 weighting as follows:
(Music Score x .6) + (Voting Score x .4) = FINAL SCORE
Tied Scores (from the official rules): In the event of a tie, the tied Submissions will be re-judged based on the Judging Criteria, and the tied Submission that receives the highest score based on such re-judging will be selected as a Finalist.
Top Voted Band: The band with the most votes, regardless if they are invited to the Finals, will receive $1000 for their school's music program!
At the Finals:
The eight (8) bands who are invited to the finals will make the trip to Anaheim, California for a 4 day weekend of fun! All Finalists are guaranteed prize money for the band and for their school music programs. In addition to performing live on stage at Downtown Disney, all of the bands and their families will receive passes to attend the world famous NAMM Show (check out the video on the home page to get an idea of what it's like!). Bands and their chaperones will stay on Disney property at the Paradise Pier Hotel - within walking distance of both the finals and the NAMM Show. It's 4 days of music and fun - an experience not to be forgotten!